With vSphere 6 Data Protection all features from the previous vSphere 5.x vDPA were moved to the standard VDP without any additional costs.
Part 1 – Deploy VDP
What’s more in the Advanced version and now with vSphere 6 available for everyone:
- Application-level replication
- Ability to expand current datastore
- Backup to a Data Domain
- Granular level restore of Microsoft Servers
- Automatic backup verification
- Application consistent backup support – guest-level backups and restores of Microsoft SQL Servers, Exchange Servers, and Share Point Servers, providing for application consistent backups of these servers.
- 8TB of deduplicated data for storage of backups (per appliance)
- Up to 400 VMs per VDP Advanced appliance
- No surprise, the VDP Appliance comes in the form of an OVA template. As such the first step is to deploy this template.
- There is a bug right now that you can´t access the config portal via Chrome & Firefox. There is already a VMWare KB and a hotfix. But I´ve also experienced the bug with Internet Explorer and I had to install this hotfix.
- Login local (via Remote Console) to the VDP
- Enable root access: vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config and uncomment the line “PermitRootLogin”
- Copy the hotfix to the appliance (e.g. with WinSCP)
- Follow the instructions given from the VMWare KB
- Open https://<ip/fqdn>:8543/vdp-configure/
- Login with default credentials: root / changeme
- Follow the wizard to do the basic appliance configuration
- Reboot the appliance
- In vCenter you should see a configuration task which is finalizing the setup
- After the succesful configuration task there should be a VDP menu item in the vSphere Web Client
The basic configuration settings were already set during the intial setup. But I want to show you the two configuration pages.
- via VDP Web Interface: For the basic settings of the appliance. We will get back to it when we add the data domain.
- via vSphere Web Client: For all Backup&Restore related tasks
The next step will be the deployment of the EMC virtual Data Domain … Link to Part 2